Failed RMD | Ed Slott and Company, LLC

Failed RMD

I have a client who recently discovered he has NOT been taking enough out of his IRA. The under withdrawal dates back 8-9 years at about $4,000 per year. All total it is about $35,000 additional he should have taken out. My first question is in regard to the closed tax years. If he were to pay the penalty(50%) would it apply to those closed years also? I know it gets reported on the Form 5329 so would I need to file amended returns for all those years or just report the entire undistributed amount on the 2007 Form 5329? Next I would like your opinion on what we are considering. I have recommended taking the $35,000 distribution now to catch things up. Then send a letter to the IRS (now before the 2007 return is actually filed) telling then the situation and asking for forgiveness. I know the instructions say we are supposed to pay the penalty first and then ask them to return it, but I would prefer to not give the IRS money if I don't have to. Do we have enough "reasonable cause" by saying the client relied on the security company. They had 2 accounts with the same company, but were only being paid the RMD out of one of the accounts. I am also hoping for a fair amount of sympathy from the IRS since we are voluntarily taking the distribution to correct this problem. Your opinion is much appreciated.

Find members of Ed Slott's Elite IRA Advisor GroupSM in your area.
We neither keep nor share your information entered on this form.

I agree to the terms and services:

You may review the terms and conditions here.