CARES act | Ed Slott and Company, LLC


It appears the CARES act allows an IRA distribution of up to $100,000 and spread tax or 3 yrs. could this be used for Roth conversion strategy, example: convert $100,000 of TIRA to RIRA and spread the tax over 3 yrs.

It does not appear so, since a Roth IRA is not an eligible plan to which a CV related distribution can be rolled. However, the distribution could be rolled back to a TIRA, and then converted in a normal conversion in which the income would all have to be reported in the conversion year. Therefore, the 2010 income split over 3 years is not available for a CV distribution.

a 401k particpant takes a CRD distirbution of $100(k) and subsquently (same year) rolls into a T-IRA In essence it would like an in-service rollover.  Would this be considered a rollover and thus not be subject to income taxes? Thx 


Find members of Ed Slott's Elite IRA Advisor GroupSM in your area.
We neither keep nor share your information entered on this form.

I agree to the terms and services:

You may review the terms and conditions here.