Amended schedule C and SEP contribution | Ed Slott and Company, LLC

Amended schedule C and SEP contribution

A client contributed the maximum amount he could to a SEP in 2018 based upon his Schedule C self-employment earnings. We now need to amend his Schedule C and reduce his income. The reduction creates and excess SEP contribution for 2018. How do we correct the SEP over funding? Is he liable for a penalty?

Was the 2018 contribution made in 2019?  Has the 2019 contribution been made yet, and if so is there any room to apply the 2018 excess to 2019?

The contribution was made in 2019 but the client does not have any 2019 SE earnings nor does he anticipate any in future years.


Find members of Ed Slott's Elite IRA Advisor GroupSM in your area.
We neither keep nor share your information entered on this form.

I agree to the terms and services:

You may review the terms and conditions here.