IRA to TSP | Ed Slott and Company, LLC


My regular IRA has some after-tax contributions in it. I am a federal retiree, and so also have a TSP account.
Am I correct that I can rollover the pre-tax part into my TSP account, and separate out the after-tax money? I understand this is the only situation in which those two parts can be separated in a rollover.

Yes, you can roll the pre tax IRA balance into the TSP. That will enable you to convert your IRA basis which you should have documented by Form 8606 each year you made non deductible IRA contributions. The conversion will be non taxable. 


Find members of Ed Slott's Elite IRA Advisor GroupSM in your area.
We neither keep nor share your information entered on this form.

I agree to the terms and services:

You may review the terms and conditions here.